Sunday, Dec 2, 2012
Garza County News


Voter registration a "must" to cast your vote

Published March 15, 2012 @ 9:52 p.m.

Editor's Note:  This is the first in a series "Election 101" to encourage readers to be active in the voting process. 

Even though the "when" of the 2012 Primary and Election Day has been in question due to challenges to the redistricting map, the fact remains that as a voter it is your responsibility to be sure you are registered to vote in time to participate in the elections.  You have until April 12, 2012 to register to be eligible to vote in the May 12, 2012 election.  The only local election on this date will be for e at-large positions on the Post ISD School Board.

To vote in Texas, you must be registered. You can pick up a voter registration application at the voter registrar’s office, fill it out, and mail it at least 30 days before the election day.  An application is also available at  You are eligible to register to vote if:

  • You are a United States citizen;
  • You are a resident of the county where you submit the application;
  • You are at least 18 years old on Election Day;
  • You are not a convicted felon (you may be eligible to vote if you have completed your sentence, probation, and parole); and
  • You have not been declared by a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be either totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.

For those who are registered to vote, you have not yet received a 2012 voter registration card.  Mailing of those cards has been delayed because of the challenges to the redistricting maps in Texas.  At this time, it appears the yellow 2012 voter registration cards will be mailed before the end of April, according to the Garza County Voter Registrar’s office.  However, if you have not received your 2012 card before the May 12 local election, the blue colored cards which show an expiration date of December 31, 2011, will be valid.   Voter registration for all other voters will automatically renew even if you have not received a new card.

If you remain in the county where you registered to vote but have changed your residence address or name, you will need to submit your updated information to your county voter registrar.  Your new voter registration certificate will be mailed to you from your county voter registrar. 

If you have changed your residence address to a new county, you will need to submit a new voter registration application no later than the 30th day before Election Day (April 12 for the May 12 election).  If you are not sure where or if you are registered to vote, you can check online at  For more information or if you have questions about your voter registration, contact the Garza County Voter Registrar’s office at 806‐495‐4448.

The copyright for all articles is held by the respective authors and/or The Garza Post. All rights reserved. Any publication, rewriting, or redistribution is prohibited without prior written permission.
blog comments powered by Disqus


Support our sponsors!



Click for more!