Sunday, Dec 2, 2012
Garza County News


USDA Authorizes Emergency Haying of CRP Acres

Garza County included in provisions.

Published July 6, 2011 @ 9:11 p.m.

In response to drought conditions, USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA) authorized emergency haying use of Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acres for 73 Texas counties including Garza County.

"Eligible producers who are interested in emergency haying of CRP must request approval before haying eligible acreage," said Victor Ashley of the Garza-Borden County FSA office. "It is also important for producers to obtain a modified conservation plan from the Natural Resources Conservation Service that includes haying requirements," he said. 

Upon approval of emergency haying, producers must leave at least 50 percent of each field or contiguous field unhayed for wildlife. For those counties that are eligible for emergency haying and grazing, the same CRP acreage cannot be both hayed and/or grazed at the same time. For example, if 50 percent of a field or contiguous field is hayed, the remaining unhayed 50 percent cannot be grazed; it must remain unhayed and ungrazed for wildlife.

In addition, participants are limited to one hay cutting and are not permitted to sell any of the hay. There will be a 25 percent CRP payment reduction depending on the number of acres actually hayed.

To take advantage of the emergency haying provisions, authorized producers can use the CRP acreage for their own livestock or may grant another livestock producer use of the CRP acreage for the purpose of haying.  Haying authorization will end on August 31, 2011. 

The following counties are approved for emergency CRP haying:  Armstrong, Bailey, Baylor, Borden, Briscoe, Callahan, Carson, Castro, Cochran, Coke, Coleman, Collingsworth, Concho, Cottle, Crosby, Deaf Smith, Dickens, Donley, Duval, Ellis, Fisher, Floyd, Foard, Gaines, Garza, Gray, Hale, Hall, Hansford, Hardeman, Hartley, Haskell, Hemphill, Hill, Hidalgo, Hockley, Howard, Jones, Kent, King, Kinney, Knox, Lamb, Lipscomb, Lynn, Martin, Maverick, Medina, Mitchell, Motley, Nolan, Ochiltree, Oldham, Parmer, Pecos, Potter, Randall, Roberts, Runnels, Scurry, Shackelford, Sherman, Starr, Stonewall, Swisher, Taylor, Terrell, Terry, Tom Green, Uvalde, Wheeler, Wilbarger and Yoakum Counties.

For more information on and to request approval for emergency haying of CRP acres contact the Garza-Borden County FSA office at 806-495-2801.

The copyright for all articles is held by the respective authors and/or The Garza Post. All rights reserved. Any publication, rewriting, or redistribution is prohibited without prior written permission.


Click for more!



Support our sponsors!